As awesome as our screen doors are, unfortunately they don’t come with the ability to withstand everything that might be thrown at them. Temper tantrums, dust storms and northerly winds that feel like they are emptying all of the salt from the Pacific Ocean into your home are a few of the things that really don’t promote a long life for your screen doors. But we do have good news, with a little bit of love and TLC, you can keep your doors in good working order.
Here are some tips to help with your screen door maintenance and keep your doors working to their maximum potential
- Regularly inspect and clean your tracks to ensure that the rollers are kept in good working order
- Don’t shut doors with excessive force, as this can cause damage to the doors, and it doesn’t really help to ease your anger!
- Inspect doors regularly to make sure that they are still in good working order. Faulty hinges, and warped or distorted frames can put excessive load on other parts of your doors, cutting their functioning life.
- Regular cleaning with a warm water and mild liquid detergent mix will remove dirt, grime and salt, which if left, can cause damage to the surface and mechanisms of your door, including the cylinder barrel. Make sure that you only use a soft bristle brush or cloth, abrasive tools are a big no-no, and you also need to be careful that your water and detergent mix do not go into the lock or cylinder.
- After removing the dirt, grime and salt from the cylinder barrel, lubricate the key cylinder with a silicone spray. You should lubricate your cylinders at least once a year to ensure that they stay in the best working order possible.
By following these tips, you are ensuring that you are going to get an extended life from your screen doors. We do understand that there are circumstances that mean you might not be able to maintain your screens yourself, if this is the case, we do offer a maintenance service every 3 or 6 months. If you would like us to maintain your screens for you, give our office a call and we can sort this out for you.